Sunday 22 December 2019

KANYAKUMARI Killer Kurves






A quick sob story.


Our early morning train from Madurai was cancelled due to rain, and a crosstown dash to the bus stand left us sweaty and disoriented as we clambered onto the basic 'government' bus which may or may not have been the cheapest, most comfortable or even the only transport option of the morning. We may never know, but we took it in any case.

A pounding headache took hold of me as we rocked and juddered down the highway, sweat pouring off me, my water supply running low. I was panicking after three non-stop hours and scrambled off for two warm bottles of water and a chilled Sprite as we finally reached a ten-minute rest stop.

Indian heat is ferocious and often deadly. Whether the sun shines or not, it penetrates and saps all energy.

A further two hours of seat-clutching oblivion awaited, until we at last reached Nagar Coil bus stand and alighted into the pounding sun.

I was ready to join the locals lying prone on the station platform, ready to throw up, prepared to die there if needs be, but Kim gave me a neck rub, I swore a lot and she got me into an air-conditioned taxi for the last leg of this particular odyssey.

Recovering slowly, we were driven through the cool green fields, palm trees and waterways outside Nager Coil town, en route to Kanyakumari.






No comments:

Post a Comment